Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Bike Computer

The last few months have seen a rapid change in my commuting decor. First, the new (used) bike. Second, bike jerseys. Now, a computer. There's no getting around it, I'm very nearly "that guy" everyone else rolls their eyes at and wants to pass.

I've never really cared to have a computer on my bike. I had to get to work and would get there when I got there, whether or not I knew exactly how fast or how far I was going. But when Performance Bike opened their new store in San Mateo 10 days ago and was giving away $20 gift cards, I wasn't going to turn that down. On top of the $20, my daughter gave the prize wheel a spin for me, and voila! She hit "the big prize." Looking at the "big prize" table, a bike computer was the obvious thing.

This isn't too fancy; it's not wireless, won't do my heartrate, no GPS. You know, about what you'd expect for $44.99 (or free, in my case). Last weekend I hooked it up. One false move with a ziptie (wireless does have a certain appeal); I've got one wrapped around the rear brake cable housing at the top of the down tube, but the brake still works fine, so for now I'm leaving it alone.

I admit it's kind of fun to have the computer. It's interesting to know what my top speed is, what my average speed is, and what my cadence is. I know now that my commute to work (when I ride all the way in) is very nearly exactly 17.5 miles. It's kind of fun to keep track of my total miles on the odometer. It's interesting to see what my speed is like on the flats, up hill, down hill, into and with the wind. All interesting.

A concern I started with, that I'd be distracted by the computer, hasn't materialized. I generally know what I'm looking for before I look down and can get the info in a hurry.

The biggest thing I think I'm feeling the computer do is speed me up. I want the speed I'm looking at to come up. I want that average speed to come up. Overall, I think the info the computer gives me pushes me harder. That's probably a good thing. Stronger, faster, and in better shape all sound pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment